All the girls have been exhibiting broody behavior to varying degrees, but Tommie has been obnoxiously broody of late. So much so that we had to do something.
So I built a jail for her.
The jail has a water and a food bowl of course, but more importantly, it has a droppings board, made out of leftover metal roofing. I want to be able to build another broody breaker underneath the first one, because Buffy has also been broody of late, but not so bad as Tommie.
Steve said that he came out the other day to check chickens and steal eggs and he saw only two hens in the enclosure. When he opened the nest box door, sure enough, there were two big fat buff orpingtons and a little black sex link crammed in there. It's only twelve by twelve. Inches.
Good thing I'm planning potatoes anyway.
This year I'm trying potato baskets made of welded wire. They are wrapped around the two-foot diameter stepping stones that the previous owner left. I'll put some soil in and then fill it full of the dark, organic stuff from the compost pile, and we'll see how they do.
This was all I managed to do this weekend.
Oh- and hit the end of my finger with a hammer.