Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2013

Garden Update, 08 July 2013


Per usual, the garden has been keeping me hopping.  On Independence Day, I freed the tomatoes of excess foliage, with the result that the bumblebees were better able to find the blossoms.

Tomato Jungle

Liberated Tomatoes
The garlic is nearly ready.  I won't pull them out until the end of July. I'm not sure how well this year's harvest will look, but at least they didn't get the rust that last year's garlic did.  Once they are out, I'm pulling out this bed because I need the space for something else.

Hard neck in front, soft neck in back
The wheat is nearly ready and the boysenberries are starting to ripen.  I still have frozen boysenberries from last year in the freezer.  The wheat that fell during that one storm picked back up a little, so I will be getting less wheat than I planted, but more than I thought I would. It doesn't help that one (or more) of the neighbor's cats have been using my wheat patch to play Jungle.

Hard red spring wheat and thornless boysenberries.
This is half of the long bed.  It's planted in Kentucky Wonder green beans, assorted peppers, onions, eggplant, and three sisters which I did not photograph because it looks like a cornfield and if you've seen one cornfield, you've seen them all.  The good news is that it was a lot higher than my knee, more like my waist, on the fourth of July, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good harvest this year.  The sweet meat squash planted in it are starting to put out buds, and the Black Coco beans are covered in blossoms.  I'm not sure they were the right beans to plant in there; they are not climbing the corn, so I think they are probably bush beans, which is bad on my part.  I could have checked that.

Onions, peppers, eggplant and beans. And one tomato.
We are getting peas right now (I froze two bags on the fourth) and this bed also has onions in it.  The beets I planted are starting to sprout but the carrots haven't yet.  In another week, I'll start the next succession. To the left there you can see the zucchini; I'm getting squash off that already too.


The strawberry and blueberry bed.  I got one, just one strawberry this weekend; the slugs are getting most of them, even though they are on the straw.  But we are getting all the blueberries.


New onion transplants.  I moved those out of the first bed which is fallow, for the most part, so I decided to cover crop it.  I'll sow buckwheat into it tonight as today is an 'above ground' day by the calendar.


And last but not least, I made seedling boxes this weekend from pallet wood and left over firring strip scraps I had lying around.  The handles were extras left over from remodeling the kitchen five years ago. I think I'm rather late to be starting my fall and winter garden, but these are for my brassicas: pak choi (with which I've have zero luck so far), cabbages and kale.  They'll be transplanted into the big bed after I pull all the wheat and potatoes out of it. Anyway, they're getting seeded tonight as well.


This weekend was really good and productive and all that, but we had some fun, too.  One of the neighbors set up a movie screen out of sheets, two by fours, a couple of ladders and some rigging inn their backyard because they had mounted a DVD player under the corner of the roof of their deck, and they invited folks from our street over to watch Gangster Squad out in the backyard with them.

What a kick.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm totally jealous. Even though I started earlier than most, my garden feels behind. the berries were all great, but my peaches all fell off except 2 early in the game. Tomatoes are doing well, but no ripe ones yet. Tomatillos are doing well, but my squash, eggplant and soybeans are struggling. bummage.

Paula said...

I kind of know how you feel Amanda. I lost most of my cherry crop- a lot of them turned brown and shriveled up- I think maybe I shouldn't have watered them. This is the first year I got blossoms on my citrus, but the infant fruits fell off as well.

It's debatable whether or not I'll get eggplant or peppers, but it appears I can grow the hell out of zucchini and kale. I'm learning that there are some things I can grow and some things I can't, so if the quest for being able to feed us out of the backyard, I think I need to concentrate on what I can grow, and don't sweat the stuff I can't.

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.