Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Frost Protection

I sure can waste time.

Maybe it's because I work long hard hours to bring home the bacon, but I can really chill and do a lot of nothing at all when I know there's work to be done on the weekends.  Yesterday I wanted to get outside and start getting stuff covered up before the frost hits, Friday being the average first frost date for my area.  We are having a mild autumn so far, but I don't want to push my luck.

So when I finally got outside, I managed to get some lettuce seedlings moved and the hoop house up for them.  This bed is approximately four feet across, so the hoops are only maybe three and a half feet high.  The ends were cut to fit and clipped on with PVC clips, and then the top floats.  I should have one more board across the top just to make it easier to manage the sides when I'm working the box, but it'll hold for now.

I never did get to the hardware store, though; I'll have to do that on the way home from work tomorrow.

As a note, the latest issue (December 2013/January2014) of The Mother Earth News has an article by Barbara Damrosch and Eliot Coleman on building a movable hoop house that looks the biz; check it out (instructions here).

No comments: