I must be truly wicked, because I have not been getting much rest lately.
Anyway, I got the bed prepped and three of seven dwarf blueberry plants moved. I also got the Dublin Bay rose moved. The rose was easy, the blueberries were not.
The last time I had a really kick-ass garden was the first year of my unemployment, when I had lots of time. I don't have lots of time now, actually less of it these days, but the one thing that all that time allowed was to start my seeds early. So lesson learned- I am starting my seeds indoors this year.
Speaking of seeds, my seeds came this week!! I wanted to get some of my seed from Franchi seeds which are sold by Seeds From Italy, but I wound up buying most of what I needed from them. And some stuff I didn't need but wanted to try. I'll leave the seed list for another post. But I will tell you that the packets are fat with seed and Franchi's seeds have a high germination rate. But more about all that in another post.
I've also been working on a plant and harvest schedule, which is incredibly complicated, because I am incorporating the moon dates into it, and planting times for a winter garden as well. I am halfway through it and if I can figure out a way to post it, I will.
January is definitely not an idle time for gardening, that's for sure.
*If you've run across the whole T8, T5 thing before, it's how they describe fluorescent tubes. It used to be all about how many eighths of an inch the tube was, so a T8 tube is one inch and a T5 tube is five-eighths of an inch. Now it has more to do with how efficient the lamps are. I won't bore you with the details; suffice to say that the light output of the T5 is commensurate with the extra expense, and that T8 tubes are just fine. And that if you have a fixture with inch-and-a-half tubes in it, that's T12 and it's not as efficient as the T8.
PS- what I meant to write was that the light output of the T5 was not commensurate with the extra expense.