Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Does Anyone Even Make One?

I am sitting in my living room with my feet up, rather than being outside in the somewhat decent weather while waiting for the rain to arrive.  I'd hoped to get the collards and kale out of the Big Bed, weed it, and get in the peppers and eggplants I bought yesterday at the Canby Master Gardener Show.  I was stern with myself and only bought those plants to replace what didn't germinate for me*.  It was hard, but I stuck to bell peppers, sweet Italian peppers and serranos. Oh, and basil for pesto and borage for the bees, but that was it.

So why am I sitting on my arse instead of working?  Because I stuck my spading fork into my middle toe and I'm trying to get it to stop bleeding.  And before you ask how the hell did I do that, let me tell you, it's a whole easier to do than you think it is.  I also stuck it through my expensive Muck boot, and I'm despondent about that. Not sure if I can repair it or not.  It certainly won't self-heal like my toe, which has finally stopped gushing but is still throbbing, eventually will.

Where's a steel-toed rubber boot when you need one?

Later:  We are finally back from the emergency room; it took two stitches to get it to stop bleeding. So my advice to you: treat your spading fork with respect- they bite!

* Next year I'm buying Franchi seed from Seeds from Italy.

9 comments:

Galestorm said...

Oh my, please take care of your toe!! Duck tape might might repair your boot! They have a lot of pretty colors these days!

Paula said...

I'm not even sure I would have thought of duct tape- that's good idea. I was thinking inner tube repair, like from a bike shop.

Emily said...

The recommendation I got (don't remember where...) was marine epoxy. $5 for a pair of tubes...mix and spread and that's supposed to take care of the cracks and be waterproof. Make sure the boot is really clean.

(p.s. Is your tetanus shot up to date?)

Paula said...

$5 is cheap if it will save my boots- thanks for the tip Emily!

And yes- my tetanus is up to date. As often as I hurt myself that is one medical event that recurs fairly regularly.

One thing about keeping a blog, I can tell you unequivocally that I last had a tetanus shot on February 22, 2011 (see Whoopsie! Feb 21, 2011).

russell1200 said...

I am dubious to long term repair if the boots are going to be in standing water.

They do make steel toe water proof boots. They are required in certain construction settings. You would want the ones that have metatarsal protection.

They tend to run a little over $100. Which is cheap compared to what boots used to cost.

Obviously they are a little heavier than simple rubber boots.

Paula said...

Hey Russell! Long time no hear from!

The issue is not long term standing water- it's long term standing clay. The beauty of Muck boots, which are otherwise really ugly, is that they shed heavy clay fairly well so that you're not dragging clay around on your boots contributing to overall fatigue when you work in wet heavy soils. Or merely walk to the chicken coop in the rain- parts of our yard turn into pools of sticky mud, and I love my Muck boots because they laugh, laugh I tell you, at the mud. I have a pair of boots with a metatarsal shank in them, but the nature of their tread collects clay, so I don't wear them. Regular steel toed boots like those they use for construction (I used to own a pair of Red Wings- I wonder what happened to them?) would probably collect clay as well.

I'll try the marine epoxy first. It might be a waste of five bucks, but it might also be just the ticket!

Cat said...

I would think if you went to a bike shop, they might also have bike patch for tires. I am thinking that could work, too. I hope the foot heals soon!

Cat

gmb said...

How about trying Sugru to repair the boot? www.sugru.com. It's supposed to be water-proof and can handle a wide range of temperatures.

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.