Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Hailstorm Chocolate Nut Tart

The day before yesterday, I'm in the shower, and when I turn off the water I hear this THUNDERING ROAR…it was hailing- the worst hailstorm I've ever witnessed.  It was worse than anything I'd experienced in Florida.  I've never seen so much hail come down so fast and so hard. The last time we had a bad, late hailstorm it was in May, which was bad enough, but then my plants weren't so far along.  This one happened mid-June- I dreaded what it was doing to my garden.

I finally got outside to see what kind of havoc the hail storm had wrought, and my heart sank when I saw the damage.  A few things are going to be okay- the pole beans and cucumbers, for instance, because they were sitting under their respective trellises which provided a modicum of cover.  The cabbages will probably be alright because I think enough surface area of them are unscathed.

Torn tomato- half of it's on the ground
But the mainstays of my summer garden- the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and kale- were pulverized.  I'd just trimmed the tomatoes to a single leader and one of them was flopped over broken.  I don't know what that means for production from that one.

What's left of the Sweet Meat squash
Also decimated were the crops that are newer to me, the cardoons and Sweet Meat squashes.

Cut up cardoon
I can't quite say everything's wrecked, but enough of it is to make me feel that it all is.  I really don't know if the tomatoes can come back from it; I'll just have to see. About a third of my sweet corn crop which I just got into the ground also was ruined.

Well crap.

*Sigh.*

I guess I could be seriously depressed about this, and maybe I am, because I decided to make a dessert I haven't made in a very long time-  probably not for five years.  I don't know why not- it's one of Steve's favorites and it's pretty easy to make.

If eating this doesn't cheer me up, nothing can.**



Hailstorm Chocolate Nut Tart

1    recipe pate brisee (unsweetened pie crust)
1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1    teaspoon vanilla
2    pinches salt
1    large egg
1    large egg white

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 Celsius or gas mark 4).

Roll out and line a rectangular* tart pan with the pie crust.

Fill it with the chopped nuts and semisweet chocolate chips and set aside.

Mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the nuts and chocolate pieces.

Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

Let cool completely before serving.

* I always make this in a long rectangular tart pan and it takes 45 minutes- if all you have is round tart pan, increase the nuts and chocolate chips a little and bake it for 55 minutes to an hour.

** I'm not actually expecting this to make me feel better because I'm not an emotional eater.  Nothing encourages, or unfortunately, discourages my appetite.

1 comment:

morgaineotm said...

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately this is the life of a farmer / homesteader. Last year, for me it was gophers. Other years its been too hot. What ever. Always something. We are lucky we do not HAVE to rely on our gardens for our food. But we keep trying. Hopefully, you will have a long enough season from here on in for it all to recover.