Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Annabelle Has Got To GO

We're down to three hens now.  Annabelle, our Blue Andalusian has had gender identity issues for a little while now and started crowing a couple of weeks ago.  This was after going broody, being cooled down in the Chicken Gaol, and resuming laying.  Yesterday on two separate occasions she hollered out her confusion and that was the third time she'd crowed this week.   Then she did it again this morning.  I live in a small municipality that allows hens but no roosters, and no one is going to believe in a crowing hen, so she had to go.  My buddy Rae came by around noon today to pick up my little miscreant and for her troubles (Rae's, that is), I sent her home with zucchini, cucumbers, kale, lettuce, turnips, turnip greens and beets.  And a very mad hen.

The remaining three are being strangely quiet...

2 comments:

Jill D. said...

Paula, we had the same problem with a hen that wanted to crow! Fortunately, we lived on enough acreage that she didn't disturb anyone, and after a few days she gave up trying. It was the funniest thing to watch.

I just wanted to say that I've followed your posts for several years, and I am amazed and inspired at where you are today. You have accomplished SO much, and are an inspiration to me. You have attempted (successfully!) to do things I would never have considered - the homemade smoker, curing the meats in the fridge, various veggies I haven't tried, etc...you are an amazing woman.

Thanks for sharing your journey. I look forward with you to the day you and Steve find that perfect homestead and begin the next phase of your lives together! In the meantime, I'll continue to learn from you as you bloom where you are planted.

Paula said...

Thanks Jill! It's nice to read something like this, because I frequently think I'm not getting enough done!