Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

TA DA!

 I'm sure it would have been prettier in pale blue-gray

Remember how I said I was going to build a bookcase for my cookbooks? Well, here it is. I think I got this one done in record time, but it was pretty simple.  The way I have it hung on the wall is kind of ugly I'll admit it, but I wanted to make sure that the shelves would hold up all my books without coming down, so they are screwed up there into the studs with three inch No. 14 screws and fender washers. I figured that the cookbooks will cover them up anyway.  Finding the stud proved to be a challenge, for a change.  Usually, I can just keep on knocking until I hear it.  In fact, Steve offered that maybe I should go buy a stud finder at the hardware store, and then laughed indulgently at my double-entendre when I retorted, "Oh I can find a stud, alright!"  Well, I couldn't find a stud alright, and this is how I finally had to do it:

Arrow marks the stud. Only took me six tries!
 
Getting back to the bookcase:  This is now holding all four boxes of my cookbooks.  But do you notice all the space? Do you know what this means? That's right: I need to go buy more cookbooks! I need like, two more feet of cookbooks.   And I know just the place to go for them.  An entire city block of books, several stories high.   A mecca for book lovers. Notice how many cookbooks they say they have.

Now that the cookbooks are taken care of, it's time to get started on the hutch so that I can put away the rest of the kitchen stuff still in boxes (I swear, it'll be like Christmas by the time I get to open them up and unwrap everything).  I'd planned on building the hutch into the space between the wall of the kitchen up to the brick on the left side of the fireplace, but I discovered that the hearth is sticking out into that space by about an inch to an inch and a half.


So now what do I do?  Whatever it is, it's going to be a royal pain, or I'm not going to like it.  I may have to think on this awhile.  And no, I can't just shove it to the right because the right side of the hearth abuts the open shelving we have on the other side of the fireplace.  I was thinking about wet-sawing it, but I don't want to do that in the house because it's very messy, and I don't think Steve and I can pick this huge slab of stone up together.  On the other hand, I do have a brick hammer- I'll just have to research how to get a nice, clean edge with one.  Not sure what I'm going to do here, but I'm sure I'll think of something. I usually do.

2 comments:

Cottage Smallholder said...

Snap! I was putting up shelve yesterday too. Ours are already groaning - need to throw some out I think.

Cottage Garden said...

Hello Paula, thank you for stopping by my blog recently and leaving a comment - its so nice to hear from new bloggers!
I'm very impressed with your shelf-hanging skills! My cookbooks jostle for space with the gardening ones so there is never enough room...

Jeamme