Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's About Time


Last night I really struggled to get some tendons and silver skin trimmed off a pork tenderloin, and I have good knives.  So I decided that it was high time that I sharpened them all.  Years ago, when I tried to ask the folks at Williams-Sonoma if they knew of anyone who sharpened knives, they said they didn't, and pointed me in the direction of their electric knife sharpeners. I was a little annoyed at the time, but I realize in retrospect that it was a good idea.  Even though I hone my chef's knife on my honing steel every time I use it, it can still get a little unhappy and get a little dull on me, which was the problem last night. So I really needed to get out the knife sharpener.

Thing is, if I was going to go to all that trouble, I may as well sharpen all of them, and if I was going to go to all that trouble, it was high time that I installed my magnetic knife rack and get them out of the drawer which is where they were likely doing most of their dulling.   I've been putting this chore off because I have to hang it on a tiled wall, which means that I would need to drill through the grout and possibly part of the tile, which would mean a masonry bit.  I have an impact driver, not a regular drill, so that means I had to buy an adapter chuck- which I did months and months ago, but you know how it is with a chore that has a lot of room for screwing up- you tend to out off your date with destiny.

Well that day came today, and it went fine, and now I have my knife rack up!  So now I can cross off one more thing from my to do list, which is pretty lengthy.  What is it that recovering alcoholics say?

Everyday, I'm getting better and better.

2 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Does the "to do" list really ever get any shorter? haha Mine never does! My husband has to sharpen all our knives - I have to leave the room. I have pins in my jaw and it just drives me crazy!
Nice, organized area and at your fingertips. That's great!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

ohmygosh, I'm *so* familiar with the slippery slope of "well, if I'm going to do this, then I need to do that" task list!! Tell me, do you also know the "starting a new task each time you walk into a different room to get something for the prior task you were working on" dilemma? This is one I'm familiar with, too. :-)
Nice job on the knife rack!