Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Good Things In Small Packages

Since the weather turned bad again, I've been very anxious about the lack of progress that I'm making with the garden.  Yesterday I couldn't stand it anymore, and direct sowed a few things into the one planter box I have that has soil in it- it's the first  that we made from re-using lumber from Randy's old planter.  It's currently holding a couple of artichoke crowns, Red Russian kale, and the garlic I planted last fall, so I added Lacinto kale to the kale beds, and I added carrots (Nantes) and turnips (Yellow Globe, and Purple Top White Globe) to one artichoke bed, and arugula and mesclun mix to the other artichoke bed.  I feel only marginally better.

I hadn't saved any seed out of the twelve pounds of tomatillos I got off of only two plants last year, but Mother Nature saw fit to save some for me. I'd seen these little nets in the old bed, but couldn't imagine what they were and assumed they must have been blown in by the wind from one of the neighbor's yards.  Until I found a perfectly intact, tomatillo-shaped cage holding a batch of seeds.  Since the husk had not burst, I don't know if the seeds are even viable, but I'm willing to find out.  But isn't that neat?

4 comments:

Commonweeder said...

I had to visit after seeing your writing all the lyrics to Spring, Spring Spring. Its one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite movies, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. However the only thing springing in my neighborhood is SNOW. I'm glad I found your blog!

Paula said...

Yeah- it was pretty much stuck in my head the rest of the day. SBFSB is one of my favorite movies, too. I have it on tape, so I can watch it whenever I've the mind too. Bless Your Beautiful Hide is such a happy song. Welcome aboard!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never tasted a tomatillo! Are they like tomatoes? Love the little perfectly preserved seed pod you found. :-)

Paula said...

I've never tasted a tomatillo either, so I can't tell you! But they are essential for making salsa verde, which is the salsa that my husband and I like best, and that is why I planted them. I made two and a half gallons of salsa verde last summer, that I canned up at a half pint at a time. I'm not hurting for salsa right now.