Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm Not Alone

Yesterday I went hunting in our local library system's card catalog for books on greenhouse building and raising chickens.  One of the greenhouse books I put on hold is one I have earmarked on Amazon, and not surprisingly, ALL the chicken/poultry raising books in our county-wide system are currently checked out.  Chickens are the hot new commodity, and if I didn't believe it before, I do now.

The chicken books are to see if I really want to do chickens, for which I won't be ready until next year anyway. I'm researching now because I may want to use the square footage I'm saving for the coop and run space for more gardening space.  I realized last night that six three-by-twelve boxes may not be enough space for our vegetables no matter how intensively I garden them, because of an answer to a question I posted to Matron of Husbandry over at Throwback at Trapper Creek.  MOH, as she is known to her fans, is a wealth of knowledge which she freely dispenses, and a homesteading hero of mine. It also helps that she lives in the same general quadrant of Oregon that I do, albeit at a higher elevation.  Anyway, my question was to find out when you're supposed to plant for fall and winter harvesting, which turns out to be the same time as you're planting some of your summer stuff. Celeriac, for instance, gets planted in March!  I figure that if this is the case, I might need more room than I thought I would, just to have enough plants going at the same time to keep us in vegetables year 'round, which is what I aim to do.

Still, I'm indebted to MOH's help because I couldn't find the late harvest planting information anywhere, and she supplied it to me.  She also took it a step further and sent me a scanned copy of Territorial Seed's winter planting chart, which they had in their Winter catalog last year, and which comes out in about March.  So above and beyond the call of duty.  It's something that I'm finding out about the folks who are in the blogosphere with me. This homesteading blogosphere. I feel like I'm out in the country and the neighbors are looking after me.

What a wonderful place to be.

2 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Paula, you'll love chickens once you get into having them. We were on the fence about them for a few years before we took the "plunge" and I am happy we did.
I agree with you about our blogsphere friends - always there to help or give an encouraging word.

Miriam said...

Paula, I found you via your comments on the coldantlerfarm blog, which I have appreciated for their humour, compassion and good common sense. And now, looking at your own blog, I see we share an admiration for the Matron of Husbandry, as well! Being new to the blogosphere I am amazed at how much community there is to be found this way.

My partner and I moved to our small property on Vancouver Island about a year ago, and we're trying hard to learn as much as we can as fast as we can about growing and preserving our own food. We have just ordered our first chickens, taking advantage of the coop and fenced yard already on the property. What an adventure, and how lucky we are to have people like the MOH to help us along! Good luck to you!