Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Suh-weet!

Steve is in the habit of taking a walk every afternoon, but since he's been down with the flu most of this week, he hasn't been out.  This afternoon was the first time he felt like getting out, and when he got back, he had some news for me. 

I was working out in the backyard on one of the planter boxes, so I didn't go with him today; I just had too much to do.  He stood at the screen door and said there was an estate sale around the corner on the way to the park, and that he saw a fruit press and hopper set for $45; did I want it?

Did I want it? I couldn't get my gloves and muck boots peeled off and my walking shoes on fast enough!  But then, Steve plodded along to the car as placid as an emergency room doctor.  He never seems to have a sense of urgency, and I've never seen him get excited about anything except when Mellow Mushroom pizza opened a store in Jacksonville.

When we got there after what seemed like an eternity but was really only a few minutes, the press and hopper were still there.  They needed a little cleaning up but were in great shape, so I told the woman I'd take them.  Steve was still parking the car, but when he showed up to pay for them, I said I thought they were a great bargain, and she said yeah, for forty-five dollars.

"Unless you want to give them to me for $40?", I asked her.  And she agreed!  So I got the press and hopper for $40!  Sweet!

I don't even have the grapes planted yet, and they can't go in until after the pergola is built.  But yay!! I have a press!

2 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Ooooh, I love a good yard sale find! Isn't it funny how husbands have different levels of urgency on things that are REALLY IMPORTANT?! lol
Glad it all worked out - and here's to a steller grape crop! :-)

Toni aka irishlas said...

You got a steal!!!