Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Darn Rain is Drowning My Trees!

We have been getting several inches of rain the last couple of days, and it is supposed to rain the rest of the week.  The backyard is flooding in spots, although because we're on a hill, we're in no way in as bad shape as parts of New England.

My new trees are in puddles, and I think I will probably lose them all. Damn that clay soil!

I don't understand it; there are three full grown standard apple trees living next door- how did they survive?

Well, I guess I won't start counting my losses until I confirm things; I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Oh- and it's supposed to be in the thirties tonight, so I covered the one artichoke that's up with a water jug cloche.  I hope it survives, as it's the only one of four that was acting alive.

Welcome to farming, huh?

4 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

Dealing with weather and our small plantings sure do make me appreciate those who get their livelyhood by farming.
Don't throw in the towel on the trees yet..
I know how frustrating this is! We have had some of the wettest springs on record. The last two years I had to replant some things three times! I've lost some berry bushes to wetness also. It's all part of it - the losses with the gains. Doesn't make you or your pocket book feel any better about it, though.
What about some type of "blanket" around the trunks and covering where the root balls are to divert the water away from the roots? Maybe something temporary like this will help. Just a thought.

sissyjane said...

I've raised many, many fruit trees in clay soil. Puddles and all...Good luck!

Miriam said...

Oh, how frustrating! I hope for your sake and the trees' that it stops raining soon.

cathy said...

I empathize. The rain is really getting me down, too. I feel like we're more than a month behind because of it. I appreciate even half a day of sun, but that doesn't help dry out the soil enough for me to work the dirt.