Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Frogs and Tomatoes

This last Saturday when the weather was so beautiful, Steve and I got outside and got some things done. He moved a couple of compost piles for me and then dug the last of the remaining lengths of rebar that were sticking out of the ground with which Randy (previous owner) had constructed the planter box and which we dismantled and reused for smaller boxes.  I worked on the cucurbit boxes and planted some of my very leggy seedlings, most of which were cold weather crops, although I did plant the canning tomatoes which I promptly covered in cut water jug cloches.

Sunday it rained, so we hied ourselves off to the library and grocery stores.  I picked up a book from the library (can I just say here that I love going to the library?) called 200 Tips for Growing Vegetables in the Pacific Northwest by Maggie Stuckey.  One of the very first things I read was, "Rule of thumb: don't put summer vegetables in the ground until the lowest nighttime temperatures are consistently above 50 degrees F."  Why couldn't I have found this book six weeks ago?  Then this morning I learn from the weather forecast that it will get colder this week and nighttime temperatures will go as low as thirty-five.  I think I may have jumped the gun on the tomatoes.  I did plant them very deeply after all, but I guess to be safe I had better start some more High Carotene seeds.

However, it is warm enough for the frogs to be out.  I consider this a good sign- I didn't even know we had frogs, although on Saturday we could hear one, but we figured it was a far-off bullfrog, because that's what it sounded like. As it is, though, it's a male Pacific Tree Frog, otherwise known as a Pacific Chorus Frog.  I know this because I sent this picture off to my nephew who has been studying frogs for many years (he actually had some poison dart frogs for awhile- Alexander really knows his frogs).  After reading about them though, I'm wondering where this little guy came from, because we have ravines and fast-flowing creeks around here, but no real ponds to speak of, which is what they need for procreation unless.....oh! I wonder if he was hatched and developed in the water feature that the folks next door have?!  It's just a little naturalized fountain, but I wonder if it was enough?  I hope to have a pond someday, with a burbling solar-powered waterfall.  It's good feng shui if it's in the southeast corner of your yard, with the water flowing toward the house- brings money, good luck, and good chi.  And who couldn't use more of that? I know I certainly could!

1 comment:

Toni aka irishlas said...

The frog could have come from your neighbors pond. We get them every year - two or three adults. One year they laid eggs. Once they hatched, we had hundreds and hundreds of tadpoles which all turned into little frogs about the size of my thumbnail. They all hopped away to somewhere. Thankfully they didn't all come back to reproduce!