keeping of chickens, and although it's a little more restrictive than I would have liked to see, at least it's finally something concrete regarding the subject and I'm glad to see it. I also think it's amusing that they prohibit roosters (no surprise) but then represent chickens, i.e., hens, which are allowed, with a picture of a rooster. Anyway, I liked this coop/tractor design, although I don't think it quite perfect. But it does give me something to think about.
This afternoon, I chased a mother coon and kit out of the backyard twice (they evidently didn't get it the first time), and a little while later I heard Steve holler that they were up the gum tree. So we managed this:
That's mama coon, and don't you dare say she's cute. I'll spare you the details of what I'd do if I could get close enough with my spading fork. The fact that they were in the yard twice makes me realize that I need to move quickly on making the back fence impenetrable. I have corn ripening as I write this.
We also put together our outdoor kitchen. It is not a sixty-thousand dollar monster that would frankly, embarrass me, but a modest two-burner propane number with folding card table. It is all I really wanted (save the outdoor oven, but we can't manage everything all at once) to have in place to be able to can out of doors when the weather gets awful. As it is, it's been really lovely lately- in the low seventies, but I imagine that along about the time that the tomatoes are ready to can, the weather will be pretty awful. Which means that we'll be canning outside. I will probably move the table closer to the stove for that, but it's fine where it is now. Besides, it's currently closer to the outdoor electrical receptacle, which means, you guessed it: blender drinks!
Anyway, getting this together is a load off my mind because I really wanted to be able to can outside and now I can do that. The other, important reason for getting this set up together is now Steve can brew outside if necessary. (And the really, really important thing is, if he decides to get a bigger brew pot than five gallons, now he's not constricted by the height of the hood over our indoor stove- he can brew as much as he wants!)
And then last, but not least, is how I hang up the wash when wearing my bibs. They come in really handy for parking clothespins. What makes this strategy especially important is that I asked Steve to leave the clover patches for the bees the last time he mowed the lawn, which he did, and I'm happy to report that the clover patches are now full of bees. The only problem is that most of them are in the vicinity of, or right under, the clothes dryer. So I have to pick my way carefully, and pretty much stay put. Having the pins clipped to my bib makes hanging the wash a lot easier- I'd still do it this way if there weren't bees. But, a bunch of them were in the clover, and the pumpkins, and the cucumbers, and the summer squash today, and I'm really relieved to see them at last. Accommodating them however I can seems no big deal, and I find that I'm fascinated by them- how much worse that addiction will be when I have my own hive!